January 20, 2014

apple muffins

These muffins are kinda bland. I think the spices should be at least doubled, and maybe other things, like cloves and ginger, should be added. The reason I'm putting this recipe up as-is is because I doubt I'll make it again, as I'm not a huge apple fan in the first place, and I think it's a good template anyway. Amp up the spices, add some sugar if you like sweet muffins (these aren't very sweet either), and maybe double the nuts as well. If you have success, please share your methods in the comments! Your fellow apple lovers will thank you.

okara apple muffins

In a bowl, mix together
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 Tablespoon corn starch
1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

until well incorporated.

In a separate bowl, whisk together
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup soy milk
1/4 cup apple juice concentrate (let it thaw first, of course)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons okara

until well incorporated.

Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until "just mixed." Then fold in
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped finely (peeled first if desired)
1/3 cup chopped pecans

and stir until evenly distributed.

apples, chopped

Divide batter evenly into the 12 wells of a lightly oiled muffin pan. Bake at
350 degrees Fahrenheit
for 24 minutes. Allow to cool for at least a few minutes before removing from pan.

Verdict: The person I live with didn't think these were bland at all. For my part, I was able to "dress them up" by cutting them in half and spreading some apple butter on each side! Much better.

I still think the nuts should be at least doubled. The only reason I put in 1/3 cup is because it occurred to me that I had an opportunity to use up some pecans, and that just so happened to be the amount I had to finish off.

No comments:

Post a Comment