September 22, 2010

okara poundcake

Update: I have since come up with a different poundcake recipe, should you be interested in trying that one as well.

I am way behind in posting entries -- I have at least two more recipes to post, but limited Internet access combined with a busy schedule is holding me back! It's OK, before I know it I'll have a goodly chunk of free time. Until then, I present to you:

okara pound cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a bowl, combine
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
3 Tablespoons corn starch
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

and stir until thoroughly mixed.

In a small pot over low heat, melt
3.5 oz. dark or semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup sugar

in
3/4 cup soy milk
Stir until chocolate is melted and well combined. Turn off heat and whisk in
1/2 cup canola oil
until it is emulsified. Stir in
5 oz. vanilla soy yogurt
1/2 cup okara
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


NB: The chocolate I used was Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate, which according to the label was "infused with spices and a twist of orange." My pound cake did not come out super-chocolately, but it did have a really delightful spiciness to it!

Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Pour batter into an oiled 9"x5" bread pan and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 65 minutes.

okara pound cake
Why can't I have pretty things?

Verdict: As you can see, my cake collapsed a bit, but that seems to be my lot in life. After cutting away the overflowed edges, I was able to successfully turn it out and slice off some pieces. It was super crumbly at first, but after it had cooled off completely it held together pretty well. Maybe not quite as dense as I'd want a pound cake to be, but it tasted great. Not super-chocolately as previously mentioned, but it sure was fantastic with some strawberries and vanilla soy ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment