January 26, 2010

chocolate-chip cookie bars

Toll House chocolate-chip cookie bars were a childhood favorite that I have not been able to veganize successfully until recently. The below recipe took a few attempts to get right, and I am really happy with the results.

chocolate chip cookie bars

In a bowl, mix together
2 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

and set aside.

In a second bowl, blend with a hand-held electric mixer
5 oz. okara
1/2 cup (one stick) Earth Balance (or other vegan butter substitute)
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

and mix until well incorporated and creamy.

Variation: You can replace the margarine with an equal amount of canola oil. You can also use 1/2 cup brown rice syrup and omit the agave nectar.

Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients, using the hand-held electric mixer. Once the dough is well incorporated, stir in
1 1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts


Scrape the dough into a lightly oiled 9x13-inch pan.

chocolate chip cookie bars

Spread the dough so that it is evenly distributed across the surface of the pan.

chocolate chip cookie bars

Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 50-55 minutes. The cookie bars will be pretty gooey just out of the oven, but will solidify as they cool.

3 comments:

  1. Is there nothing that chocolate chips can't make delicious??

    I like your blog as I, too, have mounds of okara to use up. I find it works well in banana bread or pumpkin muffins (http://vegan-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegan_okara_pumpkin_cake_recipe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad that people are finding this blog. I'm going to try to post more regularly, after letting it slip down to the bottom of my to-do list for too long ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I've made my first huge batch of soymilk...this blog is going straight to the top of my favorites! I plan to make these cookie bars, your amazing looking brownies and the blueberry corn muffins...perhaps all today LOL

    ReplyDelete